Meet Jim Simon
DNP, APRN, PMHNP-BC
Jim is a psychiatric nurse practitioner who brings a wealth of knowledge about mental health and experience in behavioral health management to our clinic where he serves as our Clinical Director and provides medication management for our patients. Jim has a DNP from University of Texas at Arlington and an MSN from Seattle University. He worked in behavioral health administration prior to becoming a psychiatric nurse. As an RN, he worked as a staff nurse on a medical-psych unit and as a charge nurse on an adolescent psych unit and an adult psychiatric intensive care unit. He became a nurse to work in psychiatry and has always worked in psychiatry - he loves every day on the job and finds there are usually no two days that are alike.
As a psychiatric nurse practitioner, Jim provides treatment to a variety of patients with varying struggles. His primary responsibilities are to evaluate the need for psychotropic medication and manage the ongoing need for medications for patients.
Jim regularly covers for attending psychiatrists at both Woodland Springs Hospital and Aspire Behavioral Hospital, and has done locum tenens work at Austin Oaks Hospital in Austin.
Jim has a warm, approachable style that provides a safe and comfortable environment that is conducive to reflective conversation and mutual listening. Jim provides evaluation for psychiatric medication, medication management, patient education, and care coordination. He has a holistic approach to treatment and a conservative prescribing style. His goal is treating with the least amount of medication for the shortest period of time to reduce presenting symptoms to a point that they are no longer affecting the quality of life of the patient. He provides ample patient education about diagnosis, treatment expectations, and medications. Jim wants patients to be informed and involved in their treatment.
- Older Adults (65+)
- Adolescents/Teenagers (14-19)
- Preteens/Tweens (11-13)
- Children (6-10)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Dual Diagnosis
- Impulse Control
- Mood Disorders
- Obsessive Compulsive
- Oppositional Defiance
- Substance/Alcohol Use
- Suicidal Ideation
- Medication Management
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Motivational Interviewing
- Supportive Therapy
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) - University of Texas Arlington
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) - Seattle University
- Bachelor of Arts in Modern Languages - Texas A&M University
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP-BC), American Nurse Credentialing Center
- Washington - Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP)
- Iowa - Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP)
- Texas - Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN)
- Minnesota – Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN)